In this special episode of That Sex Ed Podcast, co-founder Justine Kiely-Scott Justine interviews teacher and mentor Linda Stade about a topic that is super relevant to parents and children of all ages: friendships.
Some of the topics covered are:
- parent engagement;
- how to skillfully help your child manage their friendships;
- are girls’ friendships more complex and volatile than boys’?;
- girls and anxiety; the ‘friendship cyclone’ (a term created by Rebecca Sparrow);
- relational aggression;
- advice to parents on when to step in and when to step back;
- parent as coach;
- development and importance of empathy;
- how the pandemic has affected friendships and social development; online friendships during the pandemic;
- the importance of boredom, and
- what a ‘friend’ means.
- Linda Stade’s collection of relevant articles for parents
- Find Linda on Facebook at Linda Stade – Education Writer
- Kids Helpline (bullying page)
Please visit Sex Education Australia website sexeducationaustralia.com.au where you can listen to their other episodes and also browse their pages for more resources, information, and support.
- Primary resources are listed here: https://sexeducationaustralia.com.au/resources-2/resources-for-parents/ and
- Secondary resources here: https://sexeducationaustralia.com.au/resources-2/secondary-resources/